Nov 25 2013
Fun Thanksgiving Dinner Idea
If you are hosting your big family get together this year -
here is an idea for you. We did this a couple of years ago, and then again last year at my big extended family Christmas party. Pick a shape and find a template on line (like leaves, turkeys, pilgrim hats…) that you like and will go with your table decor. Pick some colors of cardstock and print out the template onto the paper and then have your kids cut them out. Then do one of the following:
Find a whole bunch of random and fun facts
and write one question on one side and then the answer on the other. For example:
- What does the 57 on the Heinz 57 bottle mean? (# of varieties of pickles they used to produce)
- How many ridges does a dime have around its edge? (118)
Just search “fun facts” or “fun trivia” and pick ones you like. You could also include Thanksgiving trivia and trivia about your family.
OR (and this is my favorite):
Put a whole bunch of getting to know you questions on the papers
THEN either scatter your paper shapes along the center of your table, use them as placecards with their name on one side, or have a vase full of the papers that people can draw from. This is a GREAT way to bring in an unexpected twist to the dinner-time conversation.
Some possible getting to know you questions:
- What was your bedroom like as a child?
- What is the last movie you cried in?
- Are you more like your mom or your dad?
- If you wrote a book, what would it be about?
- What is an item, that when other people see it, reminds them of you?
- What is a food you are really good at making?
- What is the biggest disaster you have ever had in the kitchen?
- What is a tv show you watched over and over as a child?
- What is your earliest memory in life?
- If you could guest star in a tv show – what would it be?
- What is something that always makes you happy?
- Who is a teacher that had a great impact on your life?
- What is one of your favorite family traditions?
- What is your favorite homemade meal?
- What is the greatest event you have ever been to?
- What is a subject you are always trying to learn more about?
- What is your favorite all-time toy?
- If your closet were a store, what store would it be?
- If you could see any event in history what would it be?
- What is something that comes easy to you, that isn’t that easy for others?
- What is your favorite memory from your childhood?
- What is the most awe-inspiring thing you have ever seen?
- What is something you still hope to accomplish?
- What is a quality or attribute you admire in other people?
- When all is said and done, what do you want to be remembered for?
- What are 3 things you don’t ever want to live without?
- What was one of your childhood fears?
- When you were a child, what did you want to grow up to be?
- What are the 3 most important choices you have made in your life so far?
- When is a time that you laughed so hard that you cried?