If you want to have some fun Scripture Mastery activities, I suggest that you invest in some of these.
Small Expo boards.
They are also super handy in all kinds of Family Home Evening ideas.
You could have people draw a scripture, quote their favorite part of a chapter, guess everyone’s favorite verse in a chapter, etc……. there really are endless options.
However, if any of you know another affordable place, or way, to get these – please leave a comment below.
One way I use these boards is in an activity called “Write the Next Word”
So basically I will say a phrase like: “My word shall not pass away, but shall all be…”
And everyone has to write the next word and the first person to holds up the right word gets a point.
And you can also have them “Draw the Next Word”
So, I may say: “And shall run and not be wary and shall walk and not ___________”
And they have to quickly draw a picture of the next word.
A couple of options with this game:
- If you have a large group, you can put them into teams and have them pass the board to a new person after each round. I would tell them that they can help each other, just don’t help too loudly since they will then be helping others.
- When playing in groups, I keep score like golf – meaning the low score wins. So, the first team to hold it up gets 1 point, the second team gets 2 points, etc… That way every team is accountable every round.
- If you teach seminary, I like to have an activity one day and then a quiz the next day that goes with the previous activity. Here is an example of a quiz I would give: Scripture Mastery Write the Next Word Doctrine and Covenants
- I would actually use the same phrases from the quiz for the activity
- Random note: I actually know a family who has scripture mastery challenges after dinner everyday, and the winner doesn’t have to do the dishes.